5.22.2007

twins

I called to ask the lab if they had any records of previous pregnancies resulting from our front running donor, H807. A junior type employee there told me he didn't have access to those files, but he would have a supervising doctor get back to me. They called on friday, and we played phone tag until this morning.

"Hi, I'm returning a call from Dr. Tffrishman" I didn't know if he had said "fishman, or tishman or trishman or frishman in is message. I figured I'd hedge my bets.

"Sure, hold for Dr. Fishman"

So there's that cleared up.

"Hi Dr. Fishman, I called last week. I was trying to find out if H807 had resulted in any pregnancies..."

"Ah...yes. Twins!"

I have no idea why, but that was so funny to me. I cracked up. The doctor chuckled too.

"Twins! That's cute! Thanks!"

Jen had the exact same reaction when I relayed the news.

"Twins! That's cute!"

I have no idea why this tickled us (even the doctor) so much. The genetic predisposition toward having twins has nothing to do with the sperm. Disregarding the use of fertility drugs, twins are more likely to occur when the mother:

  • Is between 30 and 40 years of age
  • Has had a high number of previous pregnancies. (The more kids you already had, the more likely you are to have twins.)
  • Is a twin, or the sibling of a twin or already birthed twins
  • Is black, or specifically african or specifically from West Africa or even more specifically of Yoruba or Hausa descent.

The sperm has nothing to do with it at all, twins are all the egg's doing. But still. Twins! Cute! Two of h807's sperm made it to the big show. (more might have as well, pregnancies are not always properly reported to the lab). That does make us giddy.

No comments: